Week 9 – Animation, Camera and Audio

Unit 2.1 Advanced and Experimental 3D Computer Animation Techniques – Project 1, week 9.

This week Includes:

• Further Animation Planning.
  • Proxy Animation.
  • Camera Animation.
  • Animation Production with environment begins.
  • Audio Design.

Proxy Animation

This allowed me to view the animation timing and storyboard in Maya. I realised that certain parts needed editing. The animation timing was long enough that I could cut it down further, to more essential and purposeful parts. For example, the food bowl frames were not essential to the narrative, and drew focus away from the main message.

Explain what the proxy animation is.

Camera Animation

While completing the camera animation, I realised that certain areas needed to be emphasised through the use of more varied and appropriate shot types. I must remember that the standard/ basic shot for a human is a full shot. A shot of the whole body. Even when animating a dog, while the size of the subject should be considered, I should maintain this principle. Then for smaller actions, to draw the audiences attention to them, they should be closer to the action.

In my storyboard, the camera movement included camera movement as opposed to cut often. There was purposeful pans that followed the character’s vision. Nevertheless, the zooms were not entirely necessary, and could have simply been a type of shot cut.

I would like to specify now (since I haven’t before) that what I use a J-cut.

Rule of keeping the character to one side unless something changes

In terms of timing of the narrative and essential parts of the narrative, the

First Proxy and Camera Animation Play Blast

Figure 1.

Improvements

This requires from clean up of timing and camera animation. The proxy is only a place holder, therefore, for now I only need it to express the timing of each movement as well as the location of the subject in each shot. I have already made improvements from the storyboard, to apply more appropriate camera shots for the type of action. For example, the close up shots when there is a smaller action.

Necessary improvements include the timing. On the shot just after the loud noise, I could delay the subtle zoom. The turn of head shots need to be more spaced out, giving enough time for the character head to turn before the point of view shots happen. Also, I believe that the head should turn slightly before the camera starts to turn, as though the camera is following the character’s perspective. This will guide the audiences eyes to follow the character’s gaze. Additionally, there is a graph editor error on the shots where the camera follows the characters head turns to look either side of the garden. The camera need to maintain its translation animation and only rotate sideways. Due to how I animated the key frames by moving the camera through the perspective view of that camera in viewport, means that sufficient clean up is required. That way only essential purposeful camera movements are made, one by one.

Testing the Audio

Musical Notes – Going Up and Going Down.

In terms of music, I want to keep it limited and purposeful. I will contact the sound design department in order to gain a collaborative partner whom I can leave the audio to. I intend to base my music design around the concept of suggestive key tones. For example, two notes, one after another that are going up in pitch/scale may be suggestive of positivity, beginning, questions or anticipation etc. Where as two notes, one after the other, going down in pitch or scale may suggest a negative mood, or an end to something.

In the film Jaws, directed by Steven Spielberg (Jaws, 1975), the main sound track includes two bass notes, the second raised after the other. The purpose of this is to increase tension and anticipation. Using this principle, the lack of presence of a long music track, and the effect of the type of music notes should provide my animation with a similar effect.

When a human asks a question, the end of their sentence will have an upward inclination, where as the and of a normal sentence ends with a downward inclination. Therefore, the upwards two-note music can happen periodically before the bang and the downwards two-note music will happen after the bang. When the puppy has checked to see where the sound came from, and realised that there was no danger after.

The upward inclined music could come slower with each time it is heard, increasing the anticipation. Then the second music note could hold just before the bang happens.

Gate Sound Effect

The audio for the gate should come before the shot comes (a J-cut). However, the fact that it stops when the shot turns to see the source of the sound, may be unclear. Testing whether or not the sound should continue will make this easier to understand for both me and the audience. The gate could bang on the previous shot and then creak repeatedly (intimidatingly) a few time in the gate shot.

Audio Includes:

• Dog whimpering/ whining.
  • Dog shocked/ surprised sound effect.
  • Foot Steps.
  • Gate creaking.
  • Musical notes periodically.
  • Rustling (could be used when character is looking around the garden).
  • Wind noises.
  • Atmospheric noises.
  • Birds chirping.
  • Cricket noises.

My back-up plan for the background music (in case I cannot find a sound designer) are tracks I found on ‘free sound’ online. A free piece of audio that I would simply need to credit to use. The tracks I am interested in included interesting wind chime sound effect/music that I believe will suit my animation well. The same will go for my animation and audience. Wind chimes will aid to exaggerate my themes well, and the tracks I found give me a pleasant aura, feeling about them. Just as long as I can shift the mood correctly, when necessary. Using sound effects and deducing wind chime volume at the right places should suffice. As I said Track links:

1. https://freesound.org/people/InspectorJ/sounds/353501/
  2. https://freesound.org/people/InspectorJ/sounds/353194/
  3. REF THESE!!!!!!!!

The first track can be the main ‘music track’ of my animation. Then, when I wish to have a more joyful mood turn and more distinct musical notes from the wind chimes, then I can use the second track. Perhaps at the end, after the reveal.

Rethinking about how the themes and how to emphasise them:

• Fear of the new things/experiences when young. The performances are good enough so far. Exaggerating the expressions would be good. Especially the ‘surprised by loud noise’ pose.
  • A dogs behavioural characteristics, natural fears of dogs, which includes noise phobia.
  • Scale/size differences to exaggerate feeling of vulnerability. (This should be emphasised further- the enviro needs editing.
  • Target Audience= for a younger audience? I can emphasise this by adding cuter/cartoony sound effects and adding text for sound effects. This will also emphasise the mood changes. Give references and examples. Like they do in children’s cartoons or comic books. Comic book style. Since this is an animation that does not have dialogue, the sound effects and tone could be emphasised this way. While conforming to an animation with children targeted genre conventions. Try cartoon style or white stylised text- modern style. Or perhaps a thought process with text? “Is it safe” What was that?”. Spider verse as reference. Inner monologue transcribed into visual text on screen that the audience can perceive without the dialogue of the character.
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse': Breaking the Rules of Animation |  IndieWire
Figure 2. Image from (Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, 2018).
  • Juxtaposition of typically aggressive type of dog- as a child she is vulnerable and anxious about everything.

Testing the Text Shots and Fonts

Figure 3.

Consideration for Lighting

A HDRI will babe used for the main lighting, then a two point lighting centred around the puppy’s movements. Including and ambient light, and either an area light or a point light. Then, a two point light for the gat. A spot light or an area light behind and in front of the gate. The one behind will be stronger in order to cast a shadow. The main source of lighting should be considered when positioning (the HDRI).

The lighting will be three-point. The strongest direction coming from opposite the dogs, the natural source of light.

HDRI used:

Figure 4. ‘Beach Parking’ by Greg Zaal (Zaal, 2018).

This HDRI will provide more of a blue tone to my image.

Camera Focus

Figure 5.

I wanted to add a soft focus to my shots, I believe this will enhance the visual professional quality of my animation greatly.

Test Shot Renders

Figure 6.

Environment Changes

While looking at the images above, I decided to add hills in the background, to emphasise the rural setting. The background looked too flat and empty otherwise.

Figure 7.

Jaws. 1975. [film] Directed by S. Spielberg. United States: Zanuck/Brown Company, Universal Pictures.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. 2018. [film] Directed by B. Persichetti, P. Ramsey and R. Rothman. United States: Columbia Pictures, Sony Pictures Animation, Marvel Entertainment.

Zaal, G., 2018. Beach Parking HDRI • Poly Haven. [online] Poly Haven. Available at: <https://polyhaven.com/a/beach_parking> [Accessed 5 June 2022].